Communities and fire services across Australia continue to prepare and battle bushfires on an unprecedented scale to protecting families, communities and property. So far, lives and property have been lost and towns and communities razed as result of the current fires. We wish to express our respect and thanks to the volunteers of the Rural Fire Services around the country that continue to fight these fires.
The impact on Australia’s animals has been similarly unprecedented. The total impact on Australian wildlife might not ever be fully understood, with estimates that several hundred million animals may have already died as result of the fires. We are further saddened by reports of significant livestock animal losses in fire affected regions of Victoria and New South Wales.
Animal Medicines Australia, and its members are proud to support the efforts of veterinarians, wildlife rescue services and dedicated volunteers that are tirelessly working to protect and treat injured pets, livestock and wildlife across Australia. Australia’s animal health industries are supporting their efforts through:
- Donating critical animal medicines such as antibiotics and pain relief to veterinary clinics treating injured wildlife and livestock,
- Providing direct financial support for wildlife rescue organisations like WIRES to support their operations during this crisis, and
- Coordinating with other organisations and associations responding to animal health.
Our industry’s targeted support will provide practical, tangible benefits to those organisations seeking to treat burned and injured wildlife, livestock and pets.
Our members are also conscious of the stress and anxiety that the continuing crisis has on impacted individuals and communities and continue to provide direct financial support for emergency counselling and mental health services such as Lifeline and Beyond Blue.
Members of the public that come across injured or orphaned animals should contact their states wildlife rescue organisation:
- NSW – WIRES (1300 094 737)
- VIC – Wildlife Victoria (1300 094 535)
- SA – SA Fauna Rescue (08 8289 0896)
- QLD – RSPCA QLD (1300 264 625)
- WA – Wildcare (08 9474 9055)
- TAS – Bonorong Sanctuary (03 6268 1184)
- ACT – ACT Wildlife (0432 300 033)